The building was built in 1576, in the outskirts of Shrewsbury, and was the likely home of John Worrall, a leatherworker and member of the Shoemakers Guild. It became an inn during the late 18th century, trading under several names, before becoming the ‘String of Horses’. Following a fire in 1912, the building was remodelled and became a branch of the Shrewsbury Co-operative Society. In 1969, the building was served a demolition order to enable road improvements, leading to the timber frame, cast iron pillars, shop doors and windows being gifted to Avoncroft.